This question, this million dollar question of how to curb the menace of sexual violence in a country like India, is a question that has nagged at every feminist, policy maker, lawmaker and cop who really care. Well, I'm also one of the feminists who always ponder about how to bring about a scenario where women can move about in the cities and towns, as and when they want to, without being reduced to fair game for rabid perverted wolves whom we call 'rapists'.
So here is a list of measures I THINK can help reduce, and even prevent, sex crimes:
1. Putting more streetlights on the roads
2. Deploy more police men on the streets, sensitize the police force to sexual violence. Making sure misogynist cops don't get employed. If they do, they must be trained to change their mindset.
3. Deploy more policewomen
4. Encourage more women to train in self-defence. open more such training centers.
5. Open more rape crisis centers, where lawyers, doctors, forensic nurses, psychologists and other professionals are deployed to help rape victims.
6. Open more forensic labs and invest money to equip these labs with proper storage facilities, devices and qualified scientists to properly collect and analyze evidence in cases of rape.
7. If cops don't register an FIR of a rape case and treat the victim insensitively, make it a punishable offence.
8. Encourage widespread discussion on sexual violence among people.
9. Arrest people who make sexist comments and blame sex crimes on women.
10. LISTEN TO FEMINISTS AND ALLOW THEM A GREATER SAY IN MATTERS REGARDING WOMEN'S FREEDOM AND SAFETY.
These are just suggestions- some change will only come about when the people at the helm take action rather than spout empty rhetoric.
PS: Will write more on this later.